Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cooking from Memories

I was craving for the tomato chutney that was the staple at our home table in India, and when I found my mother had lost the recipe, I decided to try and make it from my memory of the taste, smell and how it looked. It was an interesting experiment, I first wrote down the visual ingredients - mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, garlic and of course, tomatoes. Then taste and smell - sourish (vinegar) bitter (fenugreek seeds) and spicy (green chillies). And lastly, every indian dish has turmeric and chilli powder, so I added those. The result was pretty good, though not exact. And the process was fun! Is there any favorite food you've tried to create from memories?


2 comments:

La Chili said...

That looks great, and yes, a noodle-fish Japanese soup and it turn fine.

GB said...

Oh that looks gooood. Now I'm craving some! I do this all the time, try to wing it...sometimes it turns out okay and sometimes it's great. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails